· Master’s degree in Public Health or Social Services
· 7 years of experience in Senior Management or leadership positions in a health department or public service organization.
· 3 years of experience in Budget Development and Personnel Management
· 3 years of experience in Strategic Planning
- Must possess skills in the Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals including Analytical/Assessment, Policy Development/Program Planning, Communication, Cultural Competency, Community Dimensions of Practice, Public Health Sciences, Financial Planning and Management, and Leadership and Systems Thinking.
· Required to play an active role during a public health emergency, crisis, outbreak, incident or event in which the Health Commissioner deems additional personnel resources are warranted. This may include changes in responsibilities and working locations / hours.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Managing a team of 6 direct reports.
- Providing public health expertise and leadership to the agency and modeling professional values and leadership. Facilitating the organization’s mission and vision and managing resolutions within the agency and with community partners. Providing fiscal responsibility and making executive level decisions.
- Identifying public health policy issues and utilizing advocacy skills in seeking policy and action on public health issues, strategic planning, and direction. Performing research in public health policy, making executive level decisions, and collaborating with public health officials.
- Coordinating and facilitating internal organizational committees and strategic initiatives. Serving and providing leadership to Workforce Development, Marketing and Branding, Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services, Strategic Planning, Quality Improvement, and Health Policy and Equity efforts. Collaborating with employees and stakeholders, which includes understanding group dynamics and strategic planning, goals, and objectives.
- Coordinating, facilitating, and participating in external coalitions and task forces at the local and state level, including the Community Health Improvement Plan Advisory Group. Recruiting and collaborating with stakeholders and citizens, which includes understanding group dynamics and coalition strategic planning.
- Reviewing reports and information that will be disseminated to the public. Recommending approval or suggesting changes. Reviews and revises agency policies and identifies and pursues funding opportunities. Prepares Human Services Levy funding allocation requests and reports, and state, and federal grants. Requiring knowledge of report topics, grant requirements, and deliverables, as well as advanced knowledge of agency policies and standard operating guidelines, and governmental laws. Overseeing program development and implementation.
- Delivering agency-wide and community presentations. Writing articles or presenting information at community meetings and serving as a media spokesperson for the organization on public health topics. Performing research on public health topics and data.
- Coaching management team and staff and assisting in achievement of organizational and personal goals. Offering executive leadership advice to assist staff in goal achievement for established strategic goals and objectives.
- Acting as a leader and actively participating in efforts to develop regional environmental and public health capacities, including participating in local and regional public health emergency preparedness planning and response. Acting as a member of the Incident Management Team to respond to public health emergencies. Actively participating in county-wide and regional planning meetings and attending required Incident Management Team training. Providing expertise and assisting with plan writing.
- Providing support and consultation to the Health Commissioner. Providing duties coverage when needed.