OhioMeansJobs | Montgomery County Montgomery County Development Services

Resources for Laid Off Workers

Document Downloads

  • Job Loss Survival Guide (2.8MB)
    Losing your job because of a potential layoff or company closing is a time of challenging emotions and concerns.

OhioMeansJobs | Montgomery County

  • Contact us at 937-225-5627(jobs)


  • Unemployment Compensation
    Find out out if you qualify for Unemployment Compensation (UC). UC provides temporary financial assistance that can help you pay the bills. For information, call 1-877-852-0010 or visit the website at http://jfs.ohio.gov/ouc. To file a claim, call 1-877-644-6562 or visit http://unemployment.ohio.gov.
  • Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA)
    The Trade Act programs, Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) and Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance (ATAA), assist individuals who have become unemployed as a result of increased imports from, or shifts in production to, foreign countries. The goal of the Trade Act programs is to help trade-affected workers return to suitable employment as quickly as possible. To facilitate this goal, TAA certified workers may access a menu of services that include income support, relocation allowances, job search allowances, and a health coverage tax credit. TAA participants that require retraining in order to obtain suitable employment may receive occupational training.

    In addition, the ATAA program for older workers provides an alternative to the benefits offered under the regular TAA program. Participation in ATAA allows older workers, for whom retraining may not be suitable, to accept reemployment at a lower wage and receive a wage subsidy.
  • Search for Trade Adjustment Assistance Cases
  • Budget
    Prepare a budget as soon as possible. Start by calculating your combined savings and temporary unemployment compensation. Set your priorities and put shelter, food and healthcare at the top of the list. If you’re concerned that you can’t pay your bills, call your local Consumer Credit Counseling office. They may be able to help you come up with a plan for working with your creditors to arrange reduced or no payments until you’re able to start paying again. In Montgomery County call Graceworks Lutheran Services 937-643-2227 or online at http://www.graceworks.org/cccs
  • Foreclosure Prevention
    Savethedream.ohio.gov provides information and highlights programs you can use to help save the dream of homeownership. Here you can learn about available resources, the value of working with local housing counselors, and the importance of contacting your mortgage servicer.
  • Health Insurance & COBRA
    Make sure to extend your health coverage. If possible, get family coverage under your spouse’s policy. Or, you can extend coverage under your ex-employer’s group policy for 18 months. You have 60 days from the date you were laid off to apply for COBRA. Visit http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/health-plans/cobra.htm for more information. Call your nearest insurance agent and inquire about getting a policy if you are laid off and your employer does not qualify under COBRA.