How it works
- Apply to the YouthWorks program here.
- In just one visit to The Job Center, we’ll complete a parent orientation and student intake.
- Once you’re accepted into the program, we’re committed to you through graduation and into your next stage of life, whether that’s work, college, military, or an apprenticeship.
- We’ll get you ready for your work experience session with job readiness training.
- We’ll connect you with a personal Job Coach and a company for your work experience.
- Your Job Coach will follow-up with you throughout the school year to ensure you reach your education and career goals.
Table of Contents
• Welcome to YouthWorks
• Why would youth be interested in participating in YouthWorks?
• Who can participate in YouthWorks?
• Participation Requirements
• Operation Dates
• Application Process
• YouthWorks Application
• Terms and Conditions
• Work Permit Application Process
• YouthWorks Office & Contact Information
Since its inception in 1999, Montgomery County Business Services’ YouthWorks Program has provided Summer employment for in-school youth ages 14-18, who reside in Montgomery County.
When YouthWorks was first implemented, it served 25 youth participants. Since that time, the annual program has grown and served over 2,300 youth in partnership with over 500 businesses. In 2016, the Comprehensive Case Management and Employment Program (CCMEP) was launched. This program serves youth ages 16-24 through Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). In 2017, the Ohio State law was amended, creating a new CCMEP eligibility for youth ages 14-24.
Median and Above Income Youth are encouraged to apply as limited additional funding has been made available. The total number of participants each year is based on available funds.
The YouthWorks program allows youth to improve life skills management, increases job readiness skills, and provides work experience opportunities. Through this program, youth will have the opportunity to participate in multiple work experience sessions based on their individual availability during the year (Summer Session, Fall and Winter Session).
Note: Participation in a previous Summer Session is required for the Fall and Winter Session.
Youth that meet both Program/Service Eligibility Criteria:
- Resident of Montgomery County
- Youth between the ages of 14-18 years old (must be 14 at the time of application)
- Full-time Junior/High School student
- Must have an OhioMeansJobs.com account
- Must be registered with Selective Service (if a male 18 or older)
- Complete WorkKeys Skills Assessment
- Complete Comprehensive Assessment Tool (JFS 03006)
- Participate in the development of an Individual Opportunity Plan (JFS 03004)
*Not all who apply will be accepted to participate in the program.
To participate, each youth must:
- Submit online application
- Provide documents outlined in the Application Process and submit as indicated
- Required documents must be received in Youth Career Services within 5 business days of application.
- Attend Intake Appointment(s) and complete service documents
- Submit current Work Permit Application prior to start of work session (if required)
- Comply with all Montgomery County Youth Career Services Terms & Conditions
- Register with OhioMeansJobs.com
To participate, parents/guardians must:
- Attend parent orientation
- Participate in intake session with youth
- Commit to biannual recertification
- Comply with Terms and Conditions
Youth Career Services
1111 S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd.
Dayton, OH 45422
Monday – Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.